POSITION: Optometric Technician
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations & Doctors
The optometric technician is responsible for management and flow of the patients in the clinic department. Working with all team members and assisting doctors. Working with administration to improve the quality and care for our patients.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two year minimum experience in the medical, optometry field or customer service field.
- Computer experience.
- Pleasant personality and disposition.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Personable and empathetic with patient’s needs and concerns
- Knowledge of medical and ophthalmic terminology.
- Ability to write eyeglasses and medical prescriptions.
- Team oriented and ability to work as a team member and leader.
- Well organized and attention to detail, problem solver.
- Knowledge of all principles of refraction and optics.
- Knowledge of contact lenses
- Ability to direct, discipline, and train team to create a strong team & exceptional patient experience.
- Responsible for clinical supplies, and ensuring that clinical equipment is in good working order.
- Ensure proper charting; correctly document all information gathered from patient and pre-tests.
- Watch department costs to follow budgeted annual projections.
- Perform accurate and consistent documentation and measurement tasks to include measuring and recording of Autorefractor, Keratometer, Corneal topography, Tonometer (either the NCT or Tiolat), Automatic Lensometer, Retinal Camera, Corneal Spectrometer, and other equipment used in pre-test.
- Assist in the performance of complex clinical procedures requiring special assistance.
- Prepare patient’s charts for appointments.
- Determine which patients should be taken from the waiting room according to schedule and appointment template. Escort patients from waiting room to the clinic.